Flat Pack or Second Hand - Decorating on a Budget

I have never had lots of cash to spare when looking for furniture to spruce up an interior and I have to admit that for the most part I opt for flat pack furniture. But is this the best option if you are looking to add some character and personality to a place on a budget?
The trend of upcycling (improving a previously used item to give it a new lease of life) has been growing in recent years. Whether you update a piece that has been in your family for years or improve a great find from a charity shop, the beauty of upcycling is that the final product is unique to you and your interior.
Flat pack furniture is affordable and can solve a storage problem instantly (once you’ve built the furniture obviously!). At the moment Brian and I are in rented accommodation. It is not totally to our taste and there wasn’t enough storage when we moved in so a quick trip to Ikea solved our storage problems. 
We chose our items carefully. We have a bed in storage so we picked furniture that would work with the bed when we buy our own place. We were lacking storage in the bathroom and the bedroom.  We have used a bedside table to store towels in the bathroom and we can take it with us when we move. I have also used an Ikea dresser for more storage in the bedroom, I use this to display my jewellery and perfume to add some colour to a bedroom where we are not permitted to hang pictures on the wall.
Flat pack has always been the choice for me in the past but my new years resolution is to make the effort to upcycle. I have a found a couple of items in the charity shop so watch this space to find out what I do with them. In the meantime I have added images of my own flat pack purchases of late and some inspiring pictures of upcycled furniture that I hope will motivate me to stick to my new years resolution.
















Comments

Popular Posts